Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pre-John 3 Notes

Picture of Sam Gipp's Book, The Gospel of John

I’m reading through the book of John. I’m also reading through a commentary on John’s gospel by Sam Gipp,

Here’s the link: "Practical and Theological Study of the Gospel"

My goal for the next day and possibly again over the next weekend, is to make some notes that are based on his commentary, along with some other items of interest regarding the exchange between Jesus and Nicodemus. The first 18 verses of chapter 3 will be the focus of my study.

This study has gone much further than I anticipated, even though I’ve read this passage many times throughout life. I am:

  • learning more about Jesus’ conversation with Nicodemus, and how the Lord mastered the conversation
  • making connections to other scriptures that I had not noticed, either.
  • I’m making connections of words and phrases within this passage I had not noticed before.

Even in such familiar passages as this, there is often more to be gleaned, each and every time I return to God’s Word. Even though I should not be surprised, I am, anyway. I consider this a good thing. Smile 

This is not going to be a book review. I’m not looking to qualify Mr. Gipp’s writing. I’m not critiquing his work. I’m enjoying this book, and simply using this blog to make notes. No plagiarism will be occurring. I do suggest,  that if you’d like to study from it, order yourself a copy.

Again, this study is going to be my notes based on what Mr. Gipp has written, and more importantly, what God has written. My premise regarding the Bible is that God is right, period. His Word supersedes my own notes, is far superior to commentaries from others (including Mr. Gipp’s). Put another way: In Genesis 3, the serpent (Satan) asked Eve, “Yea, hath God said…?” I say, “YEA!!  God most assuredly hath said!!” So, if something I say is not in line with the Word of God, God always' wins. I plead no contest. His Word is forever settled in Heaven. (now, where have I heard that before?)

Until next time, whether its tomorrow, or next weekend…Open-mouthed smile

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home