Saturday, July 15, 2006

Hymn Theology: Part 2

     Hymns today serve a purpose besides being entertainment. In fact, they should not be entertaining at all. Music can be well played. However, it is for the LORD JESUS CHRIST and not ourselves that we are to play. As noted in the previous post by the same title, hymns can and should be instructional. They serve other purposes as well.
      One such purpose is in preparing the heart to receive the sermon that is about to be received. JESUS sang the hymn with the disciples, then began giving them the hard facts of what was about to happen.
(Matthew 26:30) And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.
(Matthew 26:31) Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad.
(Matthew 26:32) But after I am risen again, I will go before you into Galilee.
(Matthew 26:33) Peter answered and said unto him, Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended.
(Matthew 26:34) Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

The best example of songs with great theology is the Bible's book of Psalms. These were the songs that the Hebrews sang! These things are chock full of theology. Take a look at Psalm 103. Look at the familiar chapter 23. I've written melodies to several portions of scripture, one being Psalms 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John 7

Intro This is an incomplete post. I know that logically, I should break this down into small, manageable chunks. Not gonna happen. I shoul...